The main activities of the International Peat Society are conducted through its nine Commissions that act as subject groups within specific fields. Since November 2004, the Chairs of the Commissions form the Scientific Advisory Board of IPS, which is attended by the 2nd Vice President of IPS and elects its own Chair and Secretary annually.
In many cases, working groups have been established to plan and conduct on-going projects. By clicking on the links on the left you will find more details about the activities of the Commissions as well as their Annual Reports 2002 - 2008.
Membership in IPS Commissions is open to all those who are interested in the subject. Please contact the Commission chairpersons or the IPS Secretariat at ips at peatsociety.org in case you are interested to join.
- Commission I - Stratigraphy, inventory and conservation of peatlands
- Commission II - Utilisation of peat and peatlands for horticulture, energy and other economic purposes
- Commission III - Agricultural use of peatlands and peat
- Commission IV - Chemical, physical and biological characteristics of peat
- Commission V - Restoration, rehabilitation and after-use of peatlands
- Commission VI - Peat balneology, medicine and therapeutics
- Commission VII - Ecology and management of forested peatlands
- Commission VIII - Cultural aspects of peat and peatlands
- Commission IX - Tropical peatlands
In 2005, a joint Working Group / Standing Committee on Peatlands and Climate Change was established. It comprises representatives of all nine IPS Commissions and a number of external experts in this area.